Chapter One…The Birth of Our Club
 
The Rotary Club of Canton, chartered by Rotary International on January 8, 1915 as Club #146, the first Rotary Club in Stark County, was first organized by Calvin R. McLean, who was originally from Akron, with the aid of Ammon E. Mitzel, secretary and manager of the Canton Motor Car Company.
 
The first preliminary meeting was held November 11, 1914 at Bender’s Restaurant and was attended by McLean and Mitzel, plus Philip E. Moock, Harry E. Patrick and James E. Milner. Homer L. Rose and George F. Schoner were also invited but did not attend. All agreed to organize a Rotary Club in Canton.
 
McLean was elected temporary chairman and Milner, temporary secretary. Additional invitees to the next meeting were Wilbur C. Anderson, Fred M. Mechling, W.R. Zollinger, A.C. Eynon and Lloyd Noaker.
 
Meeting #2 was also held at Bender’s on November 19th with the Akron Rotary Club President, Harpster, Secretary Hawkins, and attorney Eagelson, each of whom made a presentation. A third meeting was held at Bender’s on November 27th. Twenty-eight names were selected and voted upon as eligible for membership and all were invited to a final preliminary meeting at the Courtland Hotel on December 10th. Twenty four (24) attended of the thirty six invited. Bill Biggers of Detroit, Vice President of Rotary International, was the speaker and Harpster and Hawkins from Akron also attended again. Following a roundtable discussion, a motion was approved to move forward.
 
The Rotary Club of Canton was organized with constitution and by-laws at the next meeting on Friday, January, 8, 1915. Twenty seven of the thirty six charter members were present. The constitution and by-laws were approved at the next meeting. Ammon E. Mitzel was elected as our first president, Calvin McLean first vice president, Lloyd Noaker, an ice cream manufacturer, second vice president, James Milner, metal ceilings, secretary, and Homer L. Rose, banker, treasurer. Five directors were also elected: W.C. Anderson, electric light & power; F.M. Mechling, heaters & boilers; P.E. Moock, electrical engineering & supplies; George F. Schoner, shoes; and H. E. Patrick, mill supplies.
 
Other charter members included, Adolph Abrams, movie theater; Orlando Bachtel, lumber; Ed E. Bender, restaurant; Louis D. Blanchard, undertaker; Martin W. Boyer, printer; Frank S. Crawford, hardware; Louis E. Deuble, advertising; Walter H. Deuble, jewelry; Lester DeWeese, news dealer; Alfred C. Eynon, plumbing; William S. Epperson, architect; John A. Franta, signs; Charles A. LaMont, physician; Edward J. Landor, engineering contractor; Walter S. Langford, hotel; Charles C. Lester, photographer; Lawson S. McConnell, pianos; Royal E. Pfouts, dentist; Charles R. Roth, druggist; Edward J. Sell, furniture; Selden G. Shaeffer, commission merchant; Charles E Norris, telephone; Alvin E. Stocker, cigars; Harry H. Weiss, men’s furnishings; and William R. Zollinger, department store. Eynon and Anderson, plus Walter and Louis Deuble, were appointed to adapt and secure the club emblem. The secretary was instructed to purchase name badges. Initiation fees of $5.00 and annual dues of $15.00 were set.